Chicago Health | Homepage
From Routine Surgery to  Family Nightmare

From Routine Surgery to Family Nightmare

By Anthony Bonazzo

In June 2012, my sister, Jennifer, called me from New Jersey. She told me not to worry but that my father, John, was going to the ER. He was nauseated and short of breath. Later, after being admitted to the hospital, we learned that he had had a minor heart attack. The next 48 hours were a mix of scattered text messages, updates and slight panic as I tried to make sense of what was happening with my dad.

Within a few hours after he was admitted, the doctors highly recommended surgery to replace his aortic valve and unblock an artery. Immediacy was paramount, they said, adding that there were little to no complications with this type of surgery and that it was a fairly routine procedure.

Over the phone, my father and I briefly discussed a less invasive route—robotic heart surgery via da Vinci Surgery—but it was costly and was not covered by his insurance so that option was no good. Ultimately, my family followed the advice of dad’s doctors. Two days later, he was scheduled to have his aortic valve replaced with that of a cow.

The surgery went well. The following months were met with hopeful anticipation that the wound would heal well and that he’d be back to his usual routine. But the wound didn’t heal. My father, tired of being cooped up, resumed his normal activities despite the risk. He golfed, stayed busy and enjoyed life.

On a follow-up visit, dad’s doctors informed him that a second surgery would be necessary but not because of anything he did while up and about. A few days after Surgery 2, the wound appeared to be closing and healing. But a few months later, the progress halted. Dad tried alternative treatments, acupuncture, diet changes and reiki (a Japanese spiritual practice in alternative medicine) with no success. With another visit to his original doctors, we learned that he wasn’t healing because the wires used to stitch his chest back together in Surgery 1 were contaminated. And so, he would need a third surgery to clean up the mess.

The results of Surgery 3 were identical to Surgery 2—active healing then a sudden stop.

Then he collapsed without warning. My sister took him to the ER, where he was diagnosed with blood sepsis, a potentially deadly blood infection that can occur after surgeries. It was caught early enough so that the doctors were able to medicate him and clear it out before any extensive harm came to him.

For the majority of 2013 he hung in there. The wound, however, was not closing up, and dad was relegated to inactivity. He became depressed and anxious. I convinced him that we needed to seek out a top doctor in New York City. Finally, he obliged and met with a doctor at Columbia University Medical Center. She suggested a fourth surgery—plastic surgery—to remove the remaining wires.

Surgery 4 was performed, and all of the wires from the original surgery were removed. We were once again hopeful that, finally, this was going to be the answer. However, only a few days after surgery and back in Jersey, Jennifer texted me that dad woke up with a lot of pain in his leg and that they were taking him to the ER—again. There, he was diagnosed with a blood clot in his leg. While there, his blood pressure tanked. After various tests, they discovered he had a boil on the chest wound, Clostridium difficile colitis (C. diff, a harmful bacteria that attacks the intestines) and a staph infection.

He remained in the hospital for four days before returning home. Worse for the wear, he needed a walker to barely get around. It was recommended that he move into a rehab center, where physical therapy would help him regain use of his leg. He spent six days there and eventually graduated from a walker to a cane.

My father was a victim of the hospital. What was hard sold to us as a routine heart surgery had almost claimed his life several different ways. A contaminated wire was put into his chest, and he paid for that error with multiple surgeries and subsequent health problems (and medical bills).

Now, after more than two years of an extended nightmare, he is home. The original wound has healed, his leg is better, and he is free of all other infections. Most importantly, his spirits are high. And by spring, he’ll likely be back on the links.

If we had to do it all over again, knowing what we know now, I would ask everyone to call a time out so that we could get a scope of the field and really calculate our actions. Because when it comes to the human body, nothing is routine.

Originally published in the Winter/Spring 2015 print edition

Similar Articles

How you can best protect yourself against mosquito bites

How you can best protect yourself against mosquito bites

Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials If you're trying to avoid mosquito bites, there are four simple ways

Eat wisely to protect your kidneys

Eat wisely to protect your kidneys

Environmental Nutrition Newsletter By Judith C. Thalheimer, R.D., L.D.N.  Your kidneys work hard every day to filter

Can your coffee habit help you live longer?

Can your coffee habit help you live longer?

By Mallika Marshall, M.D. Harvard Health Blog Whether they take it hot or cold, black or "regular,"

3 immune-boosting myths busted

3 immune-boosting myths busted

By Brierley Wright, M.S., R.D. It's that time of year when any sniffle, cough or sneeze

What you need to know about health screening tests

What you need to know about health screening tests

By Michael Rabovsky, M.D. Recently, during her annual "well woman" exam, Mary, a healthy 50-year-old schoolteacher,

Articles By Category

Family Health

In The Know

CH Lifestyle

April 2017
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
March 26, 2017 March 27, 2017 March 28, 2017 March 29, 2017 March 30, 2017 March 31, 2017 April 1, 2017
April 2, 2017 April 3, 2017 April 4, 2017 April 5, 2017 April 6, 2017 April 7, 2017 April 8, 2017
April 9, 2017 April 10, 2017 April 11, 2017 April 12, 2017 April 13, 2017 April 14, 2017 April 15, 2017
April 16, 2017 April 17, 2017 April 18, 2017 April 19, 2017 April 20, 2017 April 21, 2017 April 22, 2017
April 23, 2017 April 24, 2017 April 25, 2017 April 26, 2017 April 27, 2017 April 28, 2017 April 29, 2017
April 30, 2017 May 1, 2017 May 2, 2017 May 3, 2017 May 4, 2017 May 5, 2017 May 6, 2017


Recent Comments

Swing for the fences in the fight to Sideline Pancreatic Cancer

Swing for the fences in the fight to Sideline Pancreatic Cancer

Enjoy a great night of baseball at Peoples Natural

Cost to give birth 1943 - Page 3 - Defending The Truth Political Forum

Cost to give birth 1943 - Page 3 - Defending The Truth Political Forum

A Hazy Shade of Healthcare: What does tort reform