Calming Effects of CBD

Calming Effects of CBD

Cannabidiol (CBD), cultivated from the cannabis plant, is being used to relieve anxiety and promote holistic well-being, offering therapeutic effects without the high of other cannabis-based substances.

“People are using CBD as a natural alternative to anti-anxiety medication and some also use it in conjunction with medication,” says Kristen LePage, ND, a naturopathic doctor and acupuncturist based in the Chicago area.

The hemp used to produce CBD is cultivated to have little or no THC, the psychoactive substance in marijuana, so there’s no mind-altering effect. Hemp-based CBD products with less than 0.3 percent THC are legal and available over the counter in Illinois, whereas CBD extracted from marijuana falls under the state’s medical marijuana rules.

CBD targets receptors in the endocannabinoid system throughout the nervous system. The result is a soothing remedy for racing thoughts and anxious ideas without many of the side effects of prescription medications.

CBD is available as an oil, capsule, chewable gummy or topical cream or tincture. Doses range from 2.5 mg to 50 mg or higher, with a middle dosage around 20 mg to 30 mg. LePage cites sleepiness or lethargy as the main side effects, but these symptoms are typically only seen in very high doses.

“I see people take CBD as needed for situational anxiety,” LePage says. “Many are using it as a natural alternative.”

12 Comments

• Reply Melanie Marten October 8, 2018 at 11:56 am

Brilliant article! For those interested in CBD they should check out in-home greenhouse solutions such as by Ceden, getceden.com

• Reply Kit Hannigan December 11, 2018 at 6:20 am

Thanks for mentioning how CBD oil is a natural medication to relieve anxiety on people. My daughter works as a real estate agent. She has social anxiety, so I think this oil will be able to help her communicate better with her prospective clients.

• 1
  • Reply Rosie Beckett January 23, 2019 at 7:00 pm

I did not realize that CBD products have so many different options like cream, oils, and capsules. Also, it makes a lot of sense that you say CBD helps to reduce anxiety and increases well-being. I think that this would be a huge benefit for me because I have been dealing with a lot of anxiety lately. Plus, the fact that I have so many options of how to consume CBD gives me peace of mind that I can find something that works for me.

• Reply Silas Knight March 4, 2019 at 11:33 pm

It’s great to know more about CBD and its calming effects. I love how you said that it gives soothing relief to racing thoughts and anxiety. That’s something basically my whole family could use.

• Reply Dean Phillips March 20, 2019 at 12:09 am

I thought it was interesting how you said that CBD is being used as an alternative to anti-anxiety medication. My wife has suffered from anxiety for as long as I have known her. It may be good for her to try out CBD.

• Reply Ridley Fitzgerald April 29, 2019 at 8:43 pm

It’s great to know more about CBD and its benefits. I love the fact that it effects your nervous system and keeps you calm and soothed. My wife is really stressed about a lot of things, so I’ll have to tell her to try this out.

• Reply Bree Ward May 9, 2019 at 6:03 am

Thanks for letting me know that CBD is available in oil, capsule, chewable gummy. My brother is planning to take the gummy type for his anxiety. I think this will definitely help him.

• Reply Stephen Owen May 16, 2019 at 10:48 am

It is indeed true that healing properties found in CBD hemp oil in Chicago is more than enough and can be regarded and miraculous substance in itself. It helps in improving nervous system, reduces stress, helps in seizures and act as an anti-biotic as well. People should learn more on benefits of CBD oil.

• Reply Melvin A. Allen May 30, 2019 at 4:38 am

It is a very well written article and very informative at the same time. I am suffering from anxiety and hopefully, it will help me to get rid of it. I will go for the chewable gummy and the oil.

• Reply johan cruyff June 4, 2019 at 7:31 am

Nice post and thank You for this informative information. It will helpful for other readers also.

• Reply Katie Wilson June 12, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Thanks for explaining how CBD can provide a soothing remedy for racing thoughts and anxious ideas. It would make sense to consider something natural like this if you suffer from anxiety. My husband has been looking for a better anxiety treatment, so maybe a CBD cream would help him out.

• Reply Gillian Babcock June 13, 2019 at 6:39 pm

I have been dealing with a lot of severe anxiety over the past few years and I did not realize that there are so many benefits of CBD to help me! You make a great point that CBD is available in so many different forms including oil. This would be an easy and effective way for me to use CBD so I can feel calm and less anxious in stressful situations.