By Ahmed Abdelsalam, MD, FAAO, FACS, Managing Partner at Chicagoland Retinal Consultants
1. Are you board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology?
2. Did you do a two-year accredited fellowship in vitreoretinal surgery?
3. Did you train in both medical and surgical retina in your fellowship?
4. What are my treatment options for the condition I have?
5. If treatment is available, what are the most common risks of the treatment recommended?
6. If a procedure or surgery is involved, how many like the one recommended to me have you performed?
7. What is your complication(s) rate with this procedure?
8. What are my options for anesthesia?
9. What restrictions will I have after the procedure?
10. How long will I be out of work and when should I expect to return back to a normal routine?
11. If I would like to get a second opinion before surgery (in non emergency situations) would you be OK with that?
12. If no current treatment is available for my condition is there any research protocol(s) that I may be able to join?