Dr. Mary Wood Molo, a physician at Women’s Health Consultants and director of the IVF program at Rush University Medical Center, recommends that patients undergoing infertility treatment ask their doctors the following questions:
- What is your background? Inquire about relevant training, board certification and experience.
- How much and what kinds of diagnostic testing are performed prior to initiating treatment?
- Will we be given multiple treatment options from which to choose?
- How are IVF patients selected? Find out whether only “good” candidates are selected, and whether there is a process for including patients with a lower chance of success.
- Are there options for limited fertilization? Such options can reduce the chance of creating excess embryos in IVF cycles.