1. Preoccupation with video games/Internet
2. Use of video games/Internet in increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction
3. Repeated, unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop video game/Internet use
4. Feelings of restlessness, moodiness, depression or irritability when attempting to cut down use of video games/Internet
5. Jeopardizing or risking loss of significant relationships, jobs or educational or career opportunities because of video game/Internet use
6. Lying to family members, friends, therapists or others to conceal the extent of involvement
7. Declining grades or failing classes
Erin O’Donnell is a freelance health and science writer, parent, and graduate of Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism. Walks by Lake Michigan make her happy.